Wednesday 8 February 2012

I blew up a laptop today. Also, a new cast member.

It was messy. Bits of triangle everywhere. EVERYWHERE. I don't envy who had to clean that sucker up.

... it's more believable to think that I blew up an actual laptop rather than create and blow one up in Cinema 4D, isn't it? Can't blame anyone for thinking that really. If it helps, the 'laptop' I designed was more of a two-rectangles-joined-together-craptop. Can't have everything I suppose!

On another note, I've been colouring the opening sequence this week. Its more or less the same as the animatic except Tweak now smushes his head into the pole, slides down it rather than falls off, and his freakout is more animated. Hopefully it'll look good when it's coloured and not much inbetweening will need to be done.

I've included a little something that shows the transition from initial sketch to coloured character. Possibly something to include in the ol' portfolio.


 While I was taking a break from frames, I started sketching out Green as a chick. He looked so adorable that I couldn't resist the urge to draw the rest of the Crumbs crew.


Probably two rather odd things you might have noticed. I'll address them.

1. Tweak looking... normal. No shedding feathers, no bloodshot eyes... just a normal chick. Well, that's because he was, one once upon a time. But that's a story for another day.

2. Who on earth is this red interloper?

I doubt any of you will remember but a few months back, I doodled a breed of pigeon with quite a unique body shape (which I've since discovered are known as Norwich Croppers). While at the time it was a one time joke, I just couldn't get the design out of my mind. I mean, look at this thing! And yes, they're real.





I don't think they can even look down! I know for a fact this one can't!


It seems their chests can shrink and puff up in size luckily, so they're not cursed with a large... ok, part of me wants to make a boob joke but that would be extremely immature of me. But then again, who ever expected different of me.


So it seems they puff out their chests when intimidated or to show off . Which seems to be in every picture in Google images. It took me a while before I even found the above picture.

... where was I going with this again?

Oh yes. I wanted to create a recurring character with this design. So it's with great pleasure that I welcome to the Crumbs cast, Scarlet.


I can't really talk much about her without spoiling a few story ideas I want to explore in the comic. I'll just say that she's Lilac and Pink's older cousin who likes to check in on them every now and then. She's every bit as tough and intimidating as Lilac- where did you think the latter got her intense puffing up skills from? She's a very attractive female that's misled some very unfortunate pigeons before who got the wrong impression of her. Definitely not one to judge instantly!

I'll need to do a character sheet for her. Come to think of it, as the character development and story have changed, I need to redo all of them. Of course, that's not a main priority at the moment.

As for now, Scarlet is merely a background character. She's featured in the animatic being disgusted by Green's eating habits. There's a chance I MIGHT give her a bigger role but this late in production it seems unlikely.

For now, here's one of the sketches coloured. I wanted to play about with effects and whatnot. Just consider this concept art, I suppose.


Anyhow, I better be getting my snooze on. I'll just leave this link I found on Google for future reference: http://pigeon00.tripod.com/history_of_the__holle_cropper.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got any advice? Any opinions or ideas that you want to share? Just think I'm a straight up idiot? Feel free to let me know and I'll reply in kind <3