Tuesday 13 March 2012

Portfolio and Showreel Study

After a non-productive night last night (curse you, Nostalgia Critic!), I’ve hit the ground running today looking at showreels other people have done as well as a few online portfolios. I was lucky to come across reels of people I already enjoy the work of, such as Edd Gould and Harry Partridge but I’ve also found a few new animators of varying techniques that I’ve found interesting.

Sometimes the clips are in chronological order showing the full animation, others seem to have the clips scattered around the reel, interacting with the music. I’m unsure of how I’d like to do mine at this point although I'm leaning toward the latter option. If anyone has any opinions, they're greatly welcomed and appreciated.


This is Edd Gould's reel, mainly knowing for his online comic and animation series Eddsworld, as well as the various other projects he's done. It really shows the variety of work he has and the other colouring and animating styles he uses. Also that music is pretty damn BAMF. It's following me, second time I've heard it this week...

Here are both of his YouTube channels:




Here is Harry Partridges' reel. You can't play it here for whatever crap reason Youtube have pulled out of their backside this time so just click on the 'watch on YouTube' option to really see it. He has also scattered his various clips and the humour really shows here, namely an upbeat chirpy song playing while random, sometimes gory scenes are playing. Which is pretty much his style!

Here is his YouTube channel:



This is from a YouTube user I came across called Sachin Choudhary. His reel seems to be in chronological order, from first project to last (at least that's how it appears). It's an impressive collection, the movement is very fluid and natural for the characters. I also like how they've included their character sketches and life drawing pieces are well. Quite impressive work.

Here is their YouTube page: 


And here's a YouTube user I came across that had actually done an internship at Pixar and made a reel of scene's he'd worked on that have actually appeared in Toy Story 3. Very impressive.
YouTube and/or Blogger are being annoying again though so I can only leave a link to said reel. Oy.


That should do for now. If I find any more showreels I find inspiring, I'll mention them here.

Before I go, I'm going to mention a few links for online portfolios that I believe can be a great help for me. While the portfolio I'm working on will be printed for people to see on the Final Show, these will still give me an idea of what strengths they have so that I can consider the strengths I have. And also give me inspiration for online portfolios should I need to make one.

Art by April Danaher


April is an artist I have admired for a long time on deviantArt and one I have found most inspiring. Her animation style is amazing, how she can breathe life into her characters, be it an illustration or animation, and make it appear as natural as possible. She's been a big hand in helping me realise my goal to become an animator, even if I am just a silent observer most of the time. So I must thank her so much for that.
Anyway, onto the portfolio itself. It's very organised, eyecatching and the images really do the talking in the portfolio. There are contact details should someone be interested in her skills (which they obviously are, derp). I love the layout of the site and if I were to start up an online portfolio, I'd certainly use a site like this. Although I think you need a subscription to dA to use it. Either way, it's one to consider.

Here are April's other pages showing her art and animation:


And last but certainly not least!

Art by Vivienne Medrano



Vivienne is an artist I have come across, again on dA, a couple years prior. I just adore her style, her ideas, her colouring, how everything looks on the screen, how her characters move... there literally is no end to my love for her art. She's very inspiring and extremely creative!
Here she uses Tumblr to showcase her illustrations. From what I can tell, this one is purely for illustrations, her animation tests and animatics shown on YouTube. The characters intrigue you immediately, the design, the look, just everything about them makes you interested and want to know more. I'm on baited breath waiting for her webcomic!

Here are Vivienne's other links showing her art and animation:


Well, I certainly hope I've done all these fine people justice! I'd put more reels if I could but the net at college is being especially rubbish today. As if today is Rubbish Net Day or something. Which is just rubbish.

Now to start planning and prioritising my various tasks! And boy do I have many...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got any advice? Any opinions or ideas that you want to share? Just think I'm a straight up idiot? Feel free to let me know and I'll reply in kind <3