Wednesday 28 March 2012

Eddsworld Will Keep Spinning

I'm going to take a break from the norm for a moment here as I feel I couldn't call myself a fan of his work if I didn't.

If you remember my Portfolio and Show Reel analysis entry a couple of weeks back, you'll remember that I mentioned the work of Edd Gould. I have been a fan for over a year now, having been introduced to his animations and art by a friend of mine after joining this course. Ever since, I subscribed to his youtube channel, facebook, deviantArt, twitter... it was safe to say I was very impressed with the fun, wacky nature of his work. His Eddsworld cartoons still make me laugh to this day.

I was also introduced through this channel to work from his friends that also brings a smile to my face every time I watch them. It was good to see that even if I had a bad day I had places on the internet to go to see something hilarious, random and cheerful to make the day seem a little better.

Last year, Edd was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia for the second time in his life but kept himself and all of his friends and fans in high spirits, even finishing the second part of a two parter while going through treatment, as well as helping his friends work on their own pieces. We were all optimistic that he would kick cancers ass once again.

Then last night, this was uploaded to his channel.


To say I was devastated was nothing short of an understatement. I know this sounds absolutely insane as I'd never met or spoken to him but his sense of humour and upbeat personality really shone in his work and really made me feel so much better when I needed a pick me up. How he and his friends interacted, how he animated, it was all stuff to take on board and adapt to my own work to make it even a little bit as fun as his. It's devastating to think that such a kind and funny person is no longer with us.

But, if you'll pardon me for getting a bit emotional here, he's not really gone. Not really. Sure, he's not here able to bring us videos by his own hands but he left behind a world that, even if it doesn't continue further than the two parter mentioned in the above video, will bring the same uplifted feelings they always brought us. And I think that's what Edd would have wanted. I'm only guessing here, I never knew him but if he turned down work chances and tv show opportunities just to keep working on the cartoons for his fans then I believe he'd want us to remember him for how he's bring a smile, no matter how fleeting, during a bad day.

And that's what I hope to do in my work. Even if its animation or comics or whatever, I want to make someones day a bit better, even if it's just for a little while. Edd and his friends have made me consider how I can use my art to do that and I think it's helping me look at things a bit differently from now on. Now to get a bit better at animating first. I don't want to make a COMPLETE arse of myself after all.

Before that though, I want to just leave some links and videos here showing some of my favourites that Edd has done. Hopefully they'll amuse you as much as they amuse me.









... and believe it or not, there are more. I figured I should probably stop now before I uploaded his entire channel up here. I'll finish with a few links to his various sites. Although I won't link his actual Eddsworld site, apparently there's a malware thing-a-ma-jigger on it. But here's some stuff for you all to have a gander at. Whatever a gander is.


Oddly enough I'm feeling much better after doing this entry. It's actually fueling my desire to make an inspirations page for the blog where I can talk about people I find inspiring and give others the chance to see their work and why I admire them so. Yeah, that's what I'll do...

"Edd may be gone but his world will keep spinning."
                ~Tomska

Godspeed Edd. At least there isn't a chance of you suffering through a future without cola. And my heart goes out to his friends and family at this difficult time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got any advice? Any opinions or ideas that you want to share? Just think I'm a straight up idiot? Feel free to let me know and I'll reply in kind <3