Tuesday 12 June 2012

Post-drunken Final Show Writeup

... well. That's it over.

And it's so strange to think that some people won't be doing the third year. I'm hoping there's a way for us all to keep in contact. We've all become something of a family of sorts, if you'll forgive me getting sentimental. We all care for each other and I'm certain we've all wanted to kill one another at some point as well.

Just like family!

But anyway, yes. Well, we basically hung around and looked at everyone's work, mingled here and there. My parents got there before everyone else so it was kind of like giving them a kind of VIP tour of sorts! I'm glad they liked my work. They always seem to but this stuff was a bit different from my caricatures so I wasn't sure if they'd like them as much.

There wasn't an awful lot for us to do in the meantime so I told the parentals to look around Newcastle until nearer seven or so, when the animations would be screened with sound, as opposed to being shown on various small computer screens to showcase our stuff. Thankfully I got enough gonads to break the drawing wall's virginity. I hold that honor close to my heart.

Titan! Been a while since I drew him! He seems to be lacking in manners though...
Rachel Rutherford drew the stinky one. The drawing itself, ironically, is the opposite of stinky.

... yeah I can't resist drawing pigeons. Some Green and Pink (pre-footloss) interaction

Rachel drawed and eagle so I had to drawed a Tweak.

Some desperate attempt for self publicity. Which TOTALLY WASN'T
DRAWN BY ME, NO SIREE BOB.

This one actually also wasn't drawn by me. Rachel also helped my desperate
attempts to interest folks! Sorry for making you derp your herp though...

There was one woman in particular that was amused by this image.
... I'm considering making it into a shirt...
After our doodling shenanigans and as my loving parents returned, it was time for the screenings. It was brilliant finally seeing everyone's work in its full glory. There's just so many impressive pieces that we've achieved in the past two years and I can honestly say I'm proud of everyone.

I might as well put up links to the show reel and Crumbs trailer again. Seems fitting to do so.



After seeing everyone's work, we went back to the final show room. I was quite pleased to see a few of my business cards gone, as well as some of my doodlebug stickers. Seems people are interested!

I was even MORE pleased to be given a business card by the lead animator from Arcus Studios! I've checked out their website (http://www.arcusstudios.co.uk), followed their twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/arcusstudios) and sent an email giving them the blog address. Lets see where it goes from there! I'm just chuffed someone took such an interest!

Ashleigh also got a lot of photos taken of us, which I hope she uploads soon. I'd like to pinch them and upload them here and keep them FOREVER...

After this, we all went to No. 28 for a few drinks... about a few Baileys in my case. I've missed that stuff. And we all just took the time to unwind after such a busy day and have a few laughs. Many hugs, good luck wishes and OMFG YOUR SO AWESOME DON'T FORGET TO WRITEs were exchanged. Then Rachel and I headed homeward (well, after the half hour taxi wait and quick McDonalds run. I tell ya, around midnight, you get some interesting characters. One guy that had a massive gash on the side of his face and was completely incapable of speech was the talking point between the two of us for a while).

Then I got my drunk ass to bed. And it was glorious.

Now to rest for a few days. I might art but I won;t make any promises. I will say that I have another Big Draw meeting on Thursday that Callum and I will be attending. I'll spill the beans on that when it happens. Other than that, I'm gonna start planning my next project, work on more comic ideas, figure out what things I want printed out as postcards for the Star and Shadow, all that good stuff. Oh, and the Crumbs animation itself of course. But all that can wait a couple of days.

Til then, folks.

7 comments:

  1. Brandon Williams12 June 2012 at 10:00

    I absolutely love the way the show reel came out as well as the crums trailer! You're off to a great start hon.

    And that's fantastic about Arcus. I went and checked out their showreel for their website and my first impression was that your style would "fit in" with a lot of what they show there. That's probably why they took an interest in your work. It seems to "fit".

    It's interesting, having seen you working so hard at this over the last few years, to finally see the beginnings of your career coming together. It's scary and exciting all at the same time. I'm so proud of you, and as you become a professional I hope that I can continue to be of help to you in any way over the years to come. I knew you could do it. :) Well done love <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind <3 and while I'm here, I really should thank you for all the support you've given me these three years we've been together. I don't think I could even begin to thank you enough for all the times I've cried, bitched and moaned for whatever reason or gotten down about my work thinking it's not good enough. Thank you for listening, helping me build that bridge and get over it :)

      Delete
  2. You have to finish the Crumbs animation!

    My life will remain pointless and empty until I've seen the final thing. ;_;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So will mine until I've seen Feathers of the Roc in it's entirety, damnit! We need to totally buckle down and get to that. We could lock ourselves in a room and work or something, only being let out for bathroom breaks XD

      Delete
  3. Haha! If I ever get round to it, you certainly can! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great trailer! And sounds like it was a fantastic night so congrats!! : ) Loving your lil sketches on the drawing board there too, awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! :)

      The drawing board was especially fun. A combination of amazing artwork, random doodles and... er, 'rocket ships' if you catch my drift XD

      Delete

Got any advice? Any opinions or ideas that you want to share? Just think I'm a straight up idiot? Feel free to let me know and I'll reply in kind <3