Tuesday 8 January 2013

Belated Christmas Sharing Of Work Thingy Writeup

Huh. So uh, I already failed that 365 challenge day thing. I didn't draw anything til I started college. Oops. Ah well, as far as I can tell there's no law that says it can only start at the first day of the year. Maybe I'll pick it back up later on.

Anyway, I figured because I keep forgetting and putting it off that I should discuss the Christmas Sharing Of Work thing we did before college ended for the holidays. Basically, anyone who wanted to share work at whatever stage it was at could do so by coming in, claiming a space and sharing it with other students regardless of what form it took, such as video, artwork, photos, works in progress and so on. I printed out my concept art and character sheets beforehand in A3 to put on the wall/my portfolio to share with everyone. I also brought my badges again as free handouts, dunno if you remember these.


Seriously considering making new designs. I need to add in Jay anyway as he's now a main cast member.

Sadly the turnout wasn't all that big but people who came still enjoyed my artwork and the badges especially. Kat and Ashleigh advertised them as if the pigeons were separate clans or something like that. Team Green, for example, which Kat is now a very proud member of. Just don't let Green know that, the only thing fatter than his stomach is his ego.


Anywho, despite the small turnout, we had a great time sharing work and movies (The Bad Samaritan Must Die intrigues me), I got to try mulled wine for the first time (Emma Friel Seal of Approval!) and even indulge in some ninja star mince pies that Kat brought in.

No, really. Check it.


I want it to be Christmas again just so I can have more mulled wine and ninja pies.

Anyhow, good times were had and it was a nice round off to the year I think. People seem very intrigued by Crumbs, there were only three badges left out of forty odd, someone told me they'd be willing to invest in Crumbs if I got it made into an Angry Birds type of game (interesting idea!) and I managed to get myself a portfolio to share all the Crumbs work in.



And that's as basic a summary as I can give. It was a lot of fun and I hope to do something similar soon. I really enjoy showing my work off, not out of arrogance, merely to share what I've been up to. It's also really interesting seeing what other people have created. I hope to do it again soon.

Onto the work for this year! I have quite a bit that I need to accomplish college wise, specifically (in no particular order)

  • Dissertation plan, possibly starting opening paragraphs- POINTS TO MENTION: define success for webcomics, varying opinions, characters, art style influencing quality, printed comics in the 40's, does influence contribute to success?
  • Project planning essay- looking into what other practitioneers in the discipline have done and how successful they've been, how their methods can help with own work, how money can be earned, budget
  • Crumbs website plan
  • Crumbs story plan
  • New character sheets (for new characters)
  • Literary review- How To Do Webcomics
  • Crumbs t-shirt designs
  • New Crumbs badge designs
  • More Crumbs concept art/ideas
  • Crumbs comic page plans (show method)
  • Crumbs comic pages
  • Stina's project with Rachel
And that's just for college. And probably nowhere near all of what I have to do. I'm also considering sketching out another project idea. Perhaps a tumblr blog that would be updated less frequently and not on a schedule. I'll share this with you all soon if I decide the idea isn't stupid. I hope I don't. I have a feeling it could help me.

Anyway, check that list, better get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got any advice? Any opinions or ideas that you want to share? Just think I'm a straight up idiot? Feel free to let me know and I'll reply in kind <3