Monday 19 September 2011

Research Continued

Well, I'm officially a gigantic derp.

Here was me thinking I need to only find research in terms of character design in ANIMATION. But maybe it would benefit me if I were to look at real life examples of pigeons, considering the body shapes for the most part are realistic?

Durrrhurrhurr.

*ahem* Anyhow, hopefully this will be proof enough that I've been working on my project and not drawing ponies all day. Anymore. Maybe half that. I've basically tried to find clips that mimic what will be happening in some parts of my animation.


This will prove to be most helpful in studying Lilac chasing after and attacking Green. They don't go into a full out war like Lilac is prone to do but the aggressive wing flapping and chasing are perfect for what both pigeons do beforehand.


I think I might need to change Lilac's breed of pigeon to Dove as while studying various pigeon breeds, it seems that the pigeon are too bulky to fit the feminine look I have for her. However, this proves to be a decent reference for Green's body form and walk.


Speaking of Lilac, this is how I see her when she is puffed up in rage to appear intimidating (or whenever she sees Green). I think I might make her half dove, half king.


Just a video of various white king pigeons walking fr general reference. And even a bit of cooing so I can get into practice. I can honestly say I've never seen a king pigeon in my life (which is obvious if I was gonna make Lilac one, derp). They look like pretty hefty buggers.


This is a little closer but now it's too thin to suit Lilac. Regardless, it's a nice specimen and I think I'll ceep it here, in case I create another pigeon, background or otherwise, that would suit this body shape.


Now THIS is closer to Lilac's body form; much slimmer. Not to mention a wonderful example of her temper.

I should probably find some varied examples to base my other pigeons on, Green and Lilac often get all my attention. Not their fault they're so friggin adorable.


This will be a very helpful example for Pink whenever he walks on his footless limb. I needed an example for the movement, mannerisms and the limp.
It would always have been worse for Pink. I mean hey, look at this poor sod. Pretty resilient bugger though, have to give it props for that. I'm now slightly tempted to make a pigeon with one leg. Or even a pigeon with no wings. Now THAT would be evil.


Here are a few walking pigeons. I really want to try and get the general mannerisms down pat. I know that pigeons always bob their heads when they walk, something about their top heaviness and balance I think. So yeah, enjoy some bobbing walking pigeons! I know I will.

BTW, most of these have music in them. Well, we can all have a bit of music in our lives, no?




One last thing I should really look at is definitely a pigeon's mannerisms. Their heads are constantly looking around everywhere, twitching and moving. Even if I exaggerate my character's expressions, I at least want that part to remain true. I should also include a few cooing ones in here, just so I can hear a variety and see which fit which character and which sound closer to certain emotions.

These videos are a great help in studying their tics,twitches and... well customs I suppose.







(The pigeon right at the front seems to be a decent visual reference for Tweak, with his ruffled feathers).

Well, I think thats quite enough serious business for the night. Before I go though, I just HAVE to share THIS video. It's not really for reference although I DO have an army pigeon in the new script and the body shape is just so crazy yet perfect. I'll have to ponder that.
So I'll leave you now with some INTENSE PIGEONS. That look like they've swallowed plates... INTENSELY.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got any advice? Any opinions or ideas that you want to share? Just think I'm a straight up idiot? Feel free to let me know and I'll reply in kind <3