Wednesday 16 March 2011

Screenings of 3D Character Work

Over the past few days, we have had a look at some more 3D work. I found this very interesting and helpful because it gives ideas for how characters can move, what designs can be used and also supports the theory that good graphics aren't always needed for the viewer to feel emotion.



Take the above animation for example, Please Say Something. This is by David O'Reilly, who has created quite a few obscure but interesting animations. We had viewed three of his animations and out of all of them, this one interested me the most. The story is told through the actions of the 3D cat and mouse pixellated characters who are in a relationship, and we are shown quick blips throughout of their life together, which we see isn't always a happy one and the two often clash heads, yet still love each other. The story is told by meows and squeaks which are subtitled, very little music and sound effects. Very simplistic, yet the story touched me and the morals hit close to home; not taking for granted the people you love.

Its certainly true that good graphics can help a story and are always enticing to look at, but the truth is, it isn't always needed. For example, when the car topples over, the fire shown is merely red and orange squares floating upwards and the sound effect of flickering flames. The same reactions happens for the audience- they feel worry and fear for the characters. They feel sadness when they think the cat is dead and get emotional when the mouse is about to kill himself. Or this could just be how I feel. Regardless, these were the emotions while seeing the animation and I was happy to have it end the way it did, with the couple taking on board what they have learned and going about their life together.

Now, onto some of the works that we looked at this morning.


Catzilla from tokyoplastic on Vimeo.

This was one of the pieces done by TokyoPlastic, who seem to create a lot of characters with some large and/or unusual attributes. Adorable characters are often used, such as the examples I have above and below. Catzilla is about a cute little kitten that is dreaming of destroying a city and breathing fire. Its an amusing idea because its not something that you'd expect a cute little kitten to dream about. Makes one think outside the box a little bit. Not only that but the attention to the fur detail is amazing.


The Little Fella from tokyoplastic on Vimeo.

This little piece created by the same group amused me because I really liked how the movement kept with the beat and how in sync everything was. Also Chihuahuas are adorable. Even freaky ones like this one that like to pop their eyes out occasionally. Its very grotesque in its detail but thats what makes it so perfect I think.


Meet Buck from TeamCerf on Vimeo.

I absolutely LOVE the character design and animation in the one. The pacing of it is just incredible and the characters are wonderful in how they look and act. Everything adds to the story here, the pacing, setting, action, tone, mood, music and so on. And the story is random yet hilarious, with the deer falling in love with the hunters daughter. Then again, I assume some guys will be able to relate with the whole tension with the father in law. He views you as a piece of meat kissing his little girl! Thats why he comes after you! He's hungry!


Gluko & Lennon ENG from Gluko & Lennon on Vimeo.

And this one... god, what can I say about this one. The two main characters reminded me a little bit of Spongebob and Patrick and I could see them in an absurd situation as this. Gluko and Lennon have to help a superhero get his cape back. Thats the gist of the... plot, although thats loosely said. Not that I'm criticising because I LOVED this. It was so insane,so funny and just... yeah, see for yourself! And I liked the animation used as well. It appears 2D at forst glance but as you watch, you can really see the 3D work.Its stunning.

So here was a quick summary of my favourite animations from the past few days. I'll update with more when I come across and learn about them. I feel that this knowledge has helped my research a ton and will be a valuable asset to my essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got any advice? Any opinions or ideas that you want to share? Just think I'm a straight up idiot? Feel free to let me know and I'll reply in kind <3