Monday 31 January 2011

IDENTification

See what I did there?

E4 is basically a channel that has a number of programmes, mainly revolving around the comedy/drama genre. The general idents that I have looked at are rather bold, in-your-face and easily recognisable, not only for the logo but also for the white and purple palette used in the majority of videos.


I have looked at many idents, mainly E4 based, and now I am going to look at 5 in detail. These will be looked at for a number of reasons, mainly because they relate to my intended medium, have an appealing art style or an appropriate theme that I find fitting for the channel.



This one stuck out for me immediately because it is a form of not only traditional but stop motion, both of which interest me. The movement is sped up, showing the ident being coloured in quickly. The ident is an adorable idea but in my eyes, it doesn't exactly fit the theme of the channel itself. However if done right it could be a very interesting idea to explore.



This one I had to add just for the sheer amusement factor alone. I remember the old BBC2 idents and was sad when they changed. E4 makes a rather humorous nod to those old idents we knew in loved but of course in its tongue-in-cheek fashion. Everything looks brilliant, the animation style and the background looking exactly like the old BBC2 idents.



This one actually came 2nd place in a previous E4 ident competition. I liked the cartoon humour involved with the E4 logo being the birds flying over the character's head.



This one just made me literally laugh out loud (and everyone in the class) mainly because it was so unexpected, given the look of the art style. I did expect it to be an innocent scene of a child on a ride. However, it seems oddly fitting to the channel, how it pulls surprises in a humorous fashion.



I enjoyed the art style and colouring in this one, definitely lots of effort involved. Doesn't seem to fit the channel for me but again something I enjoyed watching.

One thing I did notice was that most of them had a jumpy kind of beat for the channel's theme, obviously trying to show a young trendy side to rein in a younger audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got any advice? Any opinions or ideas that you want to share? Just think I'm a straight up idiot? Feel free to let me know and I'll reply in kind <3